BigClown for homebrewing

Hi everyone,

I’d like to share a very simple yet interesring project with you: BigClown for homebrewing.

Brewing beer is composed of many steps which require precise temperature control. And as everyone knows, what you cannot measure you cannot control.

I already have a tool for measuring and controlling temperature during mashing phase of the homebrewing but what I lacked so far was measurement of temperature during fermentation. The precise temperature during fermentation is crucial for the success. It affects the flavor of the beer as well as the amount of alcohol in it. And the ranges for the temperature are quite small. For my favourite IPA style is between 20 - 25 degrees Celsius.

I used DS18B20 as the temperature probe. It’s positioned approximately in the middle of the worth. The wiring goes through a hole in the cover. The hole is hermetically sealed so that the beer is not infected. See the pictures yourself:

DS18B20

Whole fermentation container including BigClown

Temperature development. See the peek at 4pm: This one was actionable because the temperature was growing to high. So I placed the beer to a different room :slight_smile:

And after two days :slight_smile:

I hope you find this usage of BigClown interesting and hopefully inspiring.

Cheers,

Vlada

4 Likes

Hi,
thanks for sharing. We we’re very thrilled with this project on today’s team meeting :slight_smile: :+1:

I heard that also pressure is a thing in brewing. Are you planning on adding a pressure sensor? Is it necessary?

Enjoy a dose of your own beer.
Martin

1 Like

I hope it will be bottled soon :-):slightly_smiling_face: :beers:

Hi @hub.martin.
I’m not planning to measure the pressure. It’s probably important for the large industrial breweries but in home condition the water level is not very high. The next plan is to buy a fridge and controll the temperature there using a relay. This is necessary because an average fridge cannot stabilize temperature on 20 C. And we don’t have a basement and at our house it can get quite hot during summer.

Hi @expee,
I plan to bottle it this week. I’ll post pictures :slight_smile:

1 Like