How to setup Core Module Development on macos without brew

There is a documentation page, describing how to install Core Module development toolchain on macOS. But there is a dependency on brew, that I don’t have nor like. I use Macports but it seems that their ARM GCC package is incomplete.

For that reason, I had to come up with ‘vanilla’ installation of the toolchain. It is actually fairly easy.

1. Download a macOS binary release of the toolchain from https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/+download - file name is gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q3-20160926-mac.tar.bz2 at the time of writing.

2. Unpack this file into /opt directory:
    $ sudo tar xjf gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q3-20160926-mac.tar.bz2 -C /opt

3. Start the make (step no.4 in the Build firmware section of the documentation page) with path reconfigured:
    PATH=${PATH}:/opt/gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q3/bin make

That’s it. Now you have your very own, dedicated, BigClown Core module developement toolchain ready.
This is indeed only basic concept, it could be further improved.

2 Likes

Thanks Ales, actually we use this Launchpad distribution for all platforms, just installed via package manager (APT / brew / setup.exe).

Could you please give one more shot to Macports’ GCC and the updated Makefile without rdimon.specs?

Thank you.

MacPort version was not working - it complained that it missed another file of that nature. I figured out that MacPort team probably failed to repackage distribution correctly.
Thanks.