Light up led strip based on motion and light intensity

Hi Pros,

I’m planning to install LED strip into our kitchen.
But I would like to have it a little bit smart e.g.: light up LEDs only when there is some motion AND current light intensity in room is < threshold.

I plan to buy power controller kit and I would replace cover module with PIR module. I will use your LED as well.

I’m not sure about following:

• Is it possible to replace cover module with PIR module ? Is BCE301 suitable for that ? Motion detection kit uses enclosure BCE101
  • Could you advice how to monitor light intensity ? I would like to fit it in the same enclosure (one core module) ideally … I know there is LUX meter but not sure whether it can be installed into described setup ^^^. Furthermore this forum is so clever that it points me to this topic where somebody proposed that LUX meter can be installed on top of PIR module. Is it possible ?

Thanks

Hello,
you can combine PIR Module with Power Module, there is no issue.

• Yes, you can user PIR Module instead of Cover, you can use BCE301 with that.
  • We do not have yet those PIR Modules with pins for tags

Nice overview with renders is also on github.

I add pictures with BCE301 (now HWE301 :slight_smile: )

If you would like to cover the top of the enclosure, we can add you the “C” cover module. Like HWE204C.
UPDATE: This 3D printed cover does not fit on 301 enclosure. More info in new post below.

Correction - that 3D printed black cover does not fit on 301 enclosure. We do not have enclosure for that cover in 301 variant. You can try it but the modules pin headers do not go fully into the connector inside. See the picture.

Another option is to use Compact Split Module. My is green, in shop there is also old picture of green colour but they come in black now.
Tags can be connected to lower right 5 pins as showed in the picure. Or you can add full Climate module for example.

1 Like

Hello,

I finally get to this “project” this weekend.
I managed to “make” it work so far :slight_smile:

At the end I’m using only:

• Core module with PIR sensor. I simplify and adjusted the code from bcf-radio-motion-detector.
  • On other side is sitting homeassistant (HA) triggered by events from MQTT. HA is able to turn on & off my Sonoff LED L1 strip based on the need.
  • All components e.g. HA, Mosquito, Node-Red, Hardwario Gateway are running in separate containers on my Raspberry PI 4. I’m using Podman as container scheduler instead of docker. I put all containers into one POD so they can communicate with each other directly.

FYI My solution is inspired by this hackster.io water fountain project.

The only thing which I can improve -> core module is reporting the PIR events whole day. I need them only before sunset, during night. I’m not sure whether I can implement some logic to turn off / unregister PIR sensor based on time ? Theoretically I can send some sleep message into MQTT which could be pick up by core module but it doesn’t sound ideal.

Thanks @hub.martin for advices.
BR

Hi, thanks for wrapping the info about your project. I’m glad you easily connected TOWER KIT with HA and Sonoff. That’s our way of thinking that you own your IoT devices and can easily connect them together.
I’ve never heard about Podman, I know docker and I’ll take a look.

If you do not need sending PIR events during some hours, I can imagine you can use RTC and send events only during some selected hours.
https://tower.hardwario.com/en/latest/firmware/how-to-rtc-clock/

You can also update time if you like by using custom MQTT topic and bc_radio_set_rx_timeout_for_sleeping_node, search for this function on forum.
This way you can enable PIR detector to be able to receive data lets say 500 ms after PIR event is send and update the clock based on your Rpi. You can even send the timing shedule with the current time and change it.

1 Like