OBSOLETE-bc-windows-ide

What shall be used instead of the OBSOLETE-bc-windows-ide to get started with the core module on Windows?

Windows Toolchain https://github.com/bigclownlabs/bch-toolchain-windows/releases
It is basically the same but without the IDE. This way we have the same command line interface across all platforms.
Here is the documentation in progress which has some info about toolchain installation
https://bigclown.netlify.com/en/doc/firmware/toolchain-setup/#setup-on-windows

Thanks, I have just tried to install the toolchain but I got the following response from F-Secure.

Any idea what to do?

PS: the installation wanted to rename the file into bcf.exe which it failed due to F-Secure.

PPS: I ignored the error and the rest of the installation succeeded. So it is only the bcf.exe which hits the warning.

PPS: Maybe I could use the Python version of bcf directly instead of the exe version? ( https://github.com/bigclownlabs/bch-firmware-tool ). Is that possible?

Hello, this seems like false positive in F-secure. We do not add spyware in our opensource python utilities :slight_smile:
The easiest would be temporary stop the anti-virus.

Yes, you can use bch-firware-tool separately. bcf utility is dependent on dfu-util which is installed in the toolchain. So you would need open the toolchain console and from it call the bch-firmware-tool.

BCF is a support tool which makes lot of things easier, but you can go without it. For flashing you can use command make dfu and instead of bcf create you can simply git clone the bcf-skeleton repository.

Thanks, will check it out. I am affraid I will not be allowed to turn off F-secure as it is a corporate pc ;).

I have successfully downloaded and compiled an empty firmware. When I do make dfu I get:

> make dfu
Flashing out/debug/firmware.bin...
dfu-util 0.8

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2014 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

Invalid DFU suffix signature
A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
No DFU capable USB device available
sdk/Makefile.mk:219: recipe for target 'dfu' failed
make: *** [dfu] Error 74

I did as sugested in the tutorial. I plugged core module via usb into laptop and hold the B button, then pressed and released R button and finally released the B button. But still the device cannot be found. Any idea what to do? :slight_smile:

EDIT: I have installed J-Link and got a little bit further. (Probably the new docs should mention the J-Link?). When I put module into DFU mode I get STM Device in DFU Mode in the device manager. Now the error says:

> make dfu
dfu-util 0.8

Cannot open DFU device 0483:df11
No DFU capable USB device available
sdk/Makefile.mk:219: recipe for target 'dfu' failed
make: *** [dfu] Error 74

What can I do about the: Cannot open DFU device 0483:df11 ?

EDIT 2: Zadig finds the module:

EDIT 3: This solved it: :wink:

https://forum.bigclown.com/t/usb-connection-to-core-module-on-windows-10-64-bit/79/7?u=czb

I hope this is what the DFU utility should produce?

$ make dfu
dfu-util 0.8

Opening DFU capable USB device...
ID 0483:df11
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting #0 ...
Determining device status: state = dfuERROR, status = 10
dfuERROR, clearing status
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 2048
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash  "
Non-valid multiplier 'g', interpreted as type identifier instead
Downloading to address = 0x08000000, size = 17596
Download        [=========================] 100%        17596 bytes
Download done.
File downloaded successfully
Transitioning to dfuMANIFEST state

Great to hear that you have finally fixed that.
The Zadig driver install should be in the toolchain EXE installer. This issue can be somehow related to the anti-virus warning.
The J-link is mentioned in old(actual) documentation https://doc.bigclown.cz/core-module-setup-windows.html#jak-debugovat-core-module

We support Ozone multiplatform debugger from Segger. See make ozone target, or load the /sdk/tools/ozone/ configuration file to the debugger and it will select right CPU, source files and ELF file to load.