USB connection to Core module on Turris Omnia

Hi there, I am trying to make the Core module work on Turris Omnia in a Debian LXC. However, when I connect the USB port to Omnia, I only get this (in Turris OS):

[  584.498682] usb 4-1: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci-hcd
[  584.639909] usb 4-1: unable to read config index 0 descriptor/all
[  584.646022] usb 4-1: can't read configurations, error -32
[  584.768721] usb 4-1: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci-hcd
[  584.909905] usb 4-1: unable to read config index 0 descriptor/all
[  584.916019] usb 4-1: can't read configurations, error -32
[  585.048650] usb 4-1: new full-speed USB device number 7 using xhci-hcd
[  585.069633] usb 4-1: config index 0 descriptor too short (expected 67, got 9)
[  585.069641] usb 4-1: config 1 has 0 interfaces, different from the descriptor's value: 2
[  585.071946] usb 4-1: can't set config #1, error -75

When I connect the same module to a PC, a /dev/ttyACM0 device is created (although not every time, sometimes an error appears in dmesg as well).

Do you have any idea what could be wrong? On PC the same xhci-hcd module is used as on Omnia. The kernels are different though - 4.4.39 on Omnia and 4.4.0-24 on PC.

On a slightly different topic - how do I use the core module from a PC? I only found info about building the firmware, but nothing about using a PC as a hub.

Small step forward - I checked modules used on the PC and realized I am missing a cdc_acm module on Omnia. I installed it by

opkg install kmod-usb-acm

So this part should be OK. Unfortunately, it seems the problem occurs before this driver even comes into play and the errors reported above still show.

Hello,
on this issue, I also came across when we were preparing a tutorial for Turris omnia, yesterday’s tests with the new firemware seem stable, but will still take some time before it’s released. Please be patient.

1 Like

Great, it’s great to know that there is some solution on the way and that it is not something I am doing wrong. Thanks

1 Like

Hello,
you can run the python gateway also on you PC. Here are the necessary steps on our doc site. You did not specified the OS but the steps are similar also in Linux. If you need more help, create a new thread and we will help you there.

1 Like

We are testing a new power management that does not interfere with communication with Turris omnia over usb.